While most people associate cold and flu with winter, warmer weather does nothing to cut your risk – you can catch a cold at any time, year round.
Despite the extensive warnings about the H1N1 virus in the fall, the majority of Americans saw this past cold and flu season as about the same or only slightly worse than the previous year, according to an online survey conducted by Matrixx Initiatives, Inc., makers of Zicam Cold Remedy.
The survey also revealed that many Americans heeded the warnings about H1N1 – in fact, 95 percent of respondents said they took proactive steps to avoid cold and flu this winter. And those who took proactive steps to defend themselves against the flu shouldn’t stop now. Preparation and early treatment are the best defenses against the common cold, no matter the season. For example, zinc products, such as Zicam Cold Remedy, can reduce the duration of your cold if taken within the first 24 to 48 hours after the onset of symptoms.
In addition to basic precautions, like getting enough rest, taking a daily multivitamin, drinking fluids and washing hands, Zicam Cold Remedy offers additional tips to help you stay healthy all year:
1. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, and clean frequently touched surfaces, such as keyboards and door knobs.
2. Eat a balanced diet, and avoid sugar. Do treat yourself to dark chocolate, as it contains antioxidants and mood-boosters.
3. Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes a day. Regular exercise strengthens the immune system.
4. Avoid stress. Setting a hectic schedule can cause immune-weakening stress and fatigue and interfere with your ability to get enough rest.
5. Relax. Recharge your batteries at least once a day, even if only for 10 or 15 minutes.